Thursday, December 2, 2010

Making Memories In the Cold

 
Some of you may know it already, but we are still working on our huge home addition after three whole years.  It is almost ready for the cold, freezing days of Texas - but not all the way.  Our little 1930's cabin living room is the center of family activity and togetherness, even though we have a large approximately 2500 square-foot home now. :-D

Sometimes, it can get pretty aggravating not being able to keep warm all the time throughout the day. I've timed myself and found that I am finally able to work after an hour of getting myself warm enough!  Sound crazy?  I sometimes think that we were crazy for thinking we could do it all by ourselves.

But in so many ways, we have learned so many things.  We have learned how to live with sawdust on our dining room floor, or feel the freezing cold air seeping through a crack in the wall.  We have built a wall and then taken it down again because it wasn't done right.  We have rearranged our kitchen at least a dozen times, just because we're trying to figure out which design works best for us.  We have moved into our girls' room upstairs, only to move back down into the room we have reserved for any guests because it is too cold up there!


No, it sure isn't easy, but it has been quite memorable.  I am sure that the Lord has not allowed me to be married because I don't know Lowe's and Home Depot like the back of my hand yet!  I will certainly miss having tools laying around all over the place and the sound of my brother's hammer.

Cherish these uncomfortable times!  They may not be around for long, and even though we detest having to live with it, we will miss it.

"Where our Captain bids us go,
'Tis not ours to murmur, 'No.'
He that gives the sword and shield,
Chooses too the battle field
On which we are to fight the foe."*

*Anonymous, taken from Daily Strength for Daily Needs compiled by Mary W. Tileston

1 comment:

  1. We know exactly what you're talking about. : ) We've been working on our house for a lot longer than three years and we can still feel a breeze coming through certain doorways. But for the most part, it's snugly warm and cozy. I truly love living here, and the element that makes it so special is that my family is here with me. Maybe I will fondly miss living here someday, but I know, whether I leave or not, I will always treasure the memories that have been made while building our home.

    ReplyDelete